Lynn M. BarrettPartner
Lynn Barrett is an attorney at Wachler & Associates, P.C. and has been practicing healthcare law for over 30 years. Ms. Barrett practices in all areas of healthcare law and specializes in analyzing healthcare compliance and regulatory issues, as well as transactional matters. She currently serves as Adjunct Professor at the School of Law at Hofstra University as well as the at the University of North Carolina Wilmington and Nova Southeastern's Shepard Broad College of Law.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Barrett served as General Counsel of a multi-facility health system and as SVP & Chief Compliance & Ethics Officer of a public health system with an academic medical center. She has significant experience as in-house counsel to for-profit, non-profit and public health systems, as well as in private practice in associate, special counsel and partner positions.
Ms. Barrett graduated from New York University School of Law where she received the Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Law and Medicine and was a member of the Review of Law and Social Change. She graduated in the top 1% of her class as a University Scholar and College Scholar from Carnegie-Mellon University.
Ms. Barrett is admitted to the State Bar of Florida and the State Bar of New York. She is certified in Compliance by the Health Care Compliance Association and is designated as a Certified Compliance Professional by the Health Ethics Trust. She is on the Board of the Women’s Healthcare Executive Network and is a member of the Florida Bioethics Network. Ms. Barrett holds the position of Vice-Chair, Publications of the Delivery and Payment Reform Affinity Group with the American Health Law Association and is the Vice-Chair, eHealth, Privacy & Security for the American Bar Association. She frequently writes and speaks nationally on issues including the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute and EKRA, telemedicine, HIPAA privacy and security, and the opioid epidemic.
J.D., New York University School of Law, New York, New York
Honors: Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Law and Medicine; Review of Law and Social Change
B.S., Carnegie-Mellon University
Honors: University Scholar & College Scholar; Ranked Number 2 in graduating class (top 1%)
Florida Bar Association
New York Bar Association
Health Care Compliance Association
Health Ethics Trust
American Health Lawyers Association
Vice-Chair, Publications of the Delivery and Payment Reform Affinity Group
American Bar Association
Vice-Chair, eHealth, Privacy & Security
Chair, Ethics & Professionalism
Women’s Healthcare Executive Network
- "The Provider Relief Fund: Reporting Unreimbursed Expenses and Lost Revenue"
HCCA Compliance Today (January 2022)
- "COVID-19 and Resource Allocation: Planning for Times of Scarce Medical Resources"
American Bar Association, The Health Lawyer, Volume 32, No. 5 (June 2020)
- "Opioid Settlements: Some Lessons Learned from Big Tobacco"
American Bar Association, The Health Lawyer, Volume 32, No. 4 (Apr. 2020)
- "Opioid Prescribing - An AHLA 50 State Survey with Summaries and Links"
Contributor, Florida; American Health Law Association publication (Feb.2020)
- "On the Road to Recovery? Recent Enforcement and Regulatory Actions Addressing the Opioid Epidemic"
American Health Law Association, Connections Magazine, (Dec. 2019)
- Contributor, ABA Letter to CMS Regarding Proposed Stark Regulations (Dec. 2019)
- "Hospitals Jump Into the Opioid Litigation Fray"
American Bar Association, Health eSource, Volume 16, No. 3 (Nov. 2019)
- Contributor, American Bar Association, eHealth HLbytes: eHealth, Privacy & Security
- "Existential Threats to Practices: Revocations, Suspensions, & Extrapolations", presented by Lynn M. Barrett at the American Bar Association's Physician Legal Issues: Healthcare Delivery & Innovation Conference (September 7, 2023)
- "Hot Topics in Legal Ethics & Professionalism" presented by Lynn Barrett, Esq., to the American Health Lawyers Association's
- Long Term and Post-Acute Care Law and Compliance Conference (March 2-3, 2023)
- "EKRA: Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going?" presented by Lynn Barrett, Esq., to the American Bar Association's Washington Summit (December 13, 2022)
- "DOJ's Focus on Effective Compliance Programs" presented by Lynn Barrett, Esq., to the Louisiana Bar Association's 13th Annual J. Barrett Benton Health Law Conference (December 2, 2022)
- "Health Information Privacy Considerations in a Post-Dobbs World" presented by Lynn Barrett, Esq., to the American Bar Association, on-demand webinar (November 30, 2022)
- "Errors in Clinical Practice: Disciplinary Action or Criminal Prosecution?", presented by Lynn M. Barrett to the American Bar Association's Physicians Legal Issues Conference (September 16, 2022)
- "Delivery of OB-GYN Health Care to Women Who Are Pregnant that May Result in an Abortion-Out of State Patients and Best Practices for Providing Care to Women", presented by Lynn M. Barrett to the American Health Lawyers Association, on-demand webinar (August 25, 2022)
- "Litigation and Enforcement Responses to the Opioid Crisis", presented by Lynn M. Barrett to the American Society of Law, Medicine and Ethics Annual Health Law Professors Conference, Phoenix, AZ (June 2, 2022)
- "Ethics: Rationing of Care", presented by Lynn M. Barrett to the American Bar Association's Health Law Section Emerging Issues in Health Care Law National Conference, Miami, FL (April 27, 2022)
- "Legal Ethics: Attorneys' Use of Emails, Social Media, Texting" presented by Lynn M. Barrett to the American Health Lawyer's Association Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, Baltimore, MD (March 24-25, 2022)
- "Substance Abuse Services - Coverage, Reimbursement and Legal Issues", webinar for the American Health Lawyers Association, March 2, 2022
- "Mental Health, COVID-19 and the Opioid Epidemic: A Perfect Storm", ABA Washington Health Law Summit (Dec 2021)
- "Hot Topics: From DOJ to OIG to CMS", Louisiana State Bar Association (Dec 2021)
- "Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Women in Healthcare", Women Healthcare Executive Network (WHEN) Webinar (May 2021)
- "Mental Health, EKRA & the Opioid Crisis", American Health Law Association (March 2021)
- "Recent Guidance for Compliance Professionals: From DOJ to OIG to CMS", Health Ethics Trust Certification Course (May 2021, February 2021, August 2020)
- "The COVID Vaccine: Issues in Development & Distribution", Women Healthcare Executive Network (WHEN) Webinar (March 2021)
- "EHRs, HIPAA & Interoperability: Best Practices & Compliance Pitfalls", Health Ethics Trust Best Practices (October 2020)
- "COVID in the Workplace", Women Healthcare Executive Network (WHEN) Webinar (October 2020)
- "A Lawyer's Ethical Duty to be Proficient in Today's Technology and to be Circumspect When Using It", ABA Healthcare Fraud & Compliance Webinar (June 2020)
- "Healthcare in the Time of COVID-19", Health Ethics Trust Washington Executive Certification Course (May 2020)
- "Considerations for Healthcare Facilities Responding to the Pandemic", ABA Health Law Section Webinar (March 2020)
- "Data Integrity, Certifications and Government Reporting: Where Do we Go From Here?", LSBA 10th Annual Health Law CLE (Dec. 2019)
- "Innovative Physician Delivery and Alternative Payment Arrangements-Part 1: Playing to Survive (And Win) in a Value-based Payment World", ABA Physician Legal Issues: Healthcare Delivery and Innovation Conference (Sept. 2019)
- "Physician Arrangement Reviews: Where Do We Go From Here?", Health Ethics Trust Certification Course (Aug. 2019)
- "Center for Program Integrity: Program Integrity Initiatives from an Audit/Investigative Perspective", Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues (March 2019)
- "Navigating the Stark & Anti-Kickback Landscape", The Florida Bar Healthcare Regulatory & Compliance Conference (Nov. 2018)
- "Health Law in Times of Crisis, Lessons Learned", Cumberland Law School Developing Trends in Healthcare Law 2018 (Sept. 2018)
- "Recent Stark and AKS Developments", The Florida Bar Healthcare Regulatory & Compliance Conference (March 2018)